Why Passion Matters
Passion matters….and here’s why.
Passion is more than a word that describes things we care about. Passion is that very spark that’s within each and every one of us, defines what we’re really all about, and propels us forward towards our dreams and goals.
You could also think about passion as a flame, which needs attention, nurturing, and fuel to stay alive.
For many people, that flame dims over time. Life sometimes gets in the way of us activating our true calling, which can lead to an unfulfilled life and unsatisfactory career. Once the flame burns out, it becomes harder to reignite.
Does this sound like you? Try asking yourself these questions:
· Do the things I do give my life true meaning?
· Do I know what I’m passionate about and what I’m not?
· Is my career aligned to my purpose?
· Does my work allow me to express myself in a way that is authentic?
If you answered “no”, to any of these questions, you’re not alone. Consider these stats:
1. According to Gallup, 80% of Canadians and 70% of Americans claim to be disengaged or actively disengaged in their jobs, showing a lack of interest in the work they do
2. Hays Canada reports that 47% of Canadians are unhappy at work, and that while 86% of employees believe their fit with a company and its people is essential to professional contentment and success, when considering a new job, fit takes a back seat to money
3. ICIMS found that 83% of full-time employees would consider leaving their current company, and 77% would consider leaving their industry
4. Indeed.com ranked Canada 17th out of 34 Countries in their 2016 Job Happiness Index
5. UN-backed World Happiness Report ranks Canada 7th overall in global happiness, yet this has been declining since 2012
Now consider these:
6. "A growing body of scientific evidence indicates that flow is highly correlated with happiness, both SWB (Subjective well-being) and PWB (Psychological well-being). Furthermore, it has been found that people who experience a lot of flow regularly also develop other positive traits, such as increased concentration, self-esteem, and performance." – pursuitofhappiness.org
7. Autonomy, Competency/Mastery, and Purpose & Relatedness are universal psychological needs which are directly correlated to human motivation and optimal functioning
8. Feeling a sense of purpose is worth 7 years of extended life expectancy
9. Approximately $11 Billion is spent annually in the United States to try to find self-meaning and personal development
10. Angela Duckworth's, Grit (The power of passion and perseverance) showed that this combination was a higher and more consistent indicator of success than talent or skill.
These studies reveal that there is a need for us to change the work we do so it aligns with what we feel passionate about. With the average professional spending more than 50% of our waking lives at work, there are opportunities for us to do much better.
But how can we activate our passion into our professional lives? Talk to us at The Passion Centre.
How The Passion Centre Can Help
The Passion Centre bridges the significant gap between our need to grow and find meaning within our professional lives.
Our mission is to demystify three key concepts: meaning, passion, and purpose at the individual level, to help you to define and understand them while developing a plan to take action. Our program re-aquaints individuals with their Personal Intelligence (PQ). By the very nature of engaging in The Passion Centre's process we enable every universal psychological need, which, as mentioned above, directly correlates to human motivation and optimal functioning.
Our program helps to activate meaning, passion, and purpose, by understanding the core point of view of each unique Individual. Our model directly plays a role in:
· Caring about what you do and activating choice to move in that direction (Autonomy)
· Finding happiness and a more positive outlook, affecting your relationship with self and the relationship with those around you (Relatedness)
· Motivating yourself to peak performance (Mastery)
· Feeling a sense of meaning, value and fullfilment (Purpose)
· Accessing higher states of flow (Engagement)
Our Passion Mastery 101 program uses a methodology for professionals to identify how to incorporate more meaning into their working lives. Our program isn’t done in a day, but is a series of four workshops that work along a series of actionable timelines. We provide the clarity, structure, and tools to enable a successful transition into whatever suits your individual circumstances.
If this sounds like something you could benefit from, click below to find out more!